The Legal Voice staff have been so lucky to have Maddy Rasmussen with us during her junior and senior years as she worked diligently to create The Safe Place Project, a website mapping abortion clinics across the United States.
“I’ve always had an interest in women’s rights, but it wasn’t until I started this internship that I realized how difficult it can be for women to receive abortion care,” said Maddy. “I wanted to ease that burden by creating a simple, easy-to-use website where women could get the information they need.”
The Safe Place Project includes a map of clinics across the country, complete with contact information, website links, and the date on which Maddy verified the clinic was open and performing abortions. While geographic location is often the most significant barrier, Maddy recognized that there was also a knowledge gap in the state-based restrictions that affect a person’s access to abortion care. The Safe Place Project addresses these barriers by listing each state’s restrictions—such as waiting periods and parental consent laws—that may create additional barriers to women receiving the care they need.
Maddy came to us through an internship at her school, Big Picture High School in Burien, Washington. We are so proud of Maddy in all that she has accomplished, including getting articles about her project on Teen Vogue and Cosmopolitan. Congratulations, Maddy!
– My Legal Voice Journey: Maddy Rasmussen on Her Internship & Creating The Safe Place Project, Speaking of Women’s Rights blog
– Meet the High School Student Who Mapped Every Abortion Clinic in the US, Broadly 6/7/17
– 18-Year-Old Maddy Rasmussen Launches Online Database of Abortion Clinic Information, Teen Vogue 6/9/17
– This Teenager Created a Website that Shows How Difficult It Is to Get an Abortion in Each State, HelloGiggles 6/10/17
– This High School Girl Made a Map Identifying Every Abortion Clinic in the U.S., Refinery29 6/11/17
– This 18-Year-Old Created a Comprehensive Guide to Abortion Access in the US, Elle UK 6/12/17
– This 18-Year-Old Student Created a Map That Will Help Women Find Abortion Clinics, Cosmopolitan 6/12/17